Concientia et Sapientia

Knowledge and Wisdom. The foulposts that I aim to hit home runs between.

Wednesday, April 21, 2004

Baseball

Monday night I went to bed in the bottom of the 10th inning of a 1-1 tie between the Mariners and the Athletics. I was too tired to fight, and I resigned myself to hearing about the end of the game Tuesday morning. Of course, there was nothing Tuesday morning because the game ran late. I found out later than a balk in the bottom of the 14th inning ended the game, giving the M's a win. Fox Sports Northwest (FSN) asked players what was the strangest ending of a game that they had played.

I am reminded of my one shining moment of glory in baseball. I was playing first base, runners on first and third, no outs. The runner of first was really short (this was little league after all) and he looked and sounded cocky. As soon as the pitch was thrown he took off to steal, it was a line drive straight back to the pitcher, who threw the ball to me, since I was covering first, and then the runner on third tried for home. I faked a throw, he stopped, ran again, I faked, he stopped again. Finally he made a break for it and I threw a perfect putout at home. The catcher was exactly where he needed to be, the throw was exactly where it needed to be. It was simple. It was poetry. It was a triple play. My team started off the field and I didn't know why. They had to call me into the dugout to explain that the inning was over.

Typical of me, I quess. I do something absolutely brilliant, and everyone knows it but me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home