Concientia et Sapientia

Knowledge and Wisdom. The foulposts that I aim to hit home runs between.

Friday, November 04, 2005

Done with BofA (almost)

You know what really keeps my business at a certain store or institution? Customer Service. I'm a big fan of being treated like a human being. My bank no longer treats me like a human being. A few months abo we went to Seattle for the Writers of the Future awards ceremony. We deposited a bunch of cash inot my BofA account to keep track of travel expenses. We at first they refused to acknowledge a deposit because we didn't deposit the check in Oregon, but in Washington, so we didn't have access to the cash for a while. Then we made an error in estimated how much we'd spent, so we went to Starbucks and spent six bucks on an account with only a buck fifty four. After than transaction the account was $272.01 overdrawn.
At the time we were both unemployed. Finally we found part time jobs (2 part time jobs almost equals one full time job) and after working so many weeks before we could get paid, we got paid. My wife also rolled over a few grand from her 401k so we could pay off a few of these bills. I got $900 to clear my checking account and my credit card, which is almost $400 over the limit (thank you bankruptcy bill, I am charged about $100 for this card even when I don't make purchases). So today I went to a BofA branch, with checks written out to me for $900, and BofA refused to accept me money.
Have you heard of this? A Bank that refuses to accept money from a client?
Apparently they (without any warning or notice) closed my account last week. They esnt $272.01 to collections, and since I no longer had a checking account, I couldn't cash the checks I had. They wanted a cashier's check, which I couldn't buy from them because technically I was not a customer (even though I had a credit card that was still open). I had to walk to the credit union two blocks away in typical Oregaon November pouring rain. I could have drove, but decided to walk, because it fit the mood. Sadly, I forgot to bring a third check that I was going to deposit there, so I had to go back afterwards. I returned to BofA with a cashiers check and over $600 in cash, most of which I put on my credit card, hopefully endind the assault of four to six calls a day from an automated machine that only offers me a choice to pay, but not a choice to talk to someone to explain the financial dire straits of our family.
They finally accepted the money, but they wouldn't accept cash to pay off the checking account because "they have no way of knowing if those are valid $100 bills." They did accept $100 bills to pay off part of my credit card.
When banks make it so hard to get even, it's not worth being their customer. They explained that I could never reopen this account, and I'd have to open a new one. I didn't bother.
I realized as I drove away, that I should have tried opening a new account with my $900, and then purchased a cashiers check, paid off one account, then close both of them. My old BofA checking account is on record at my Amazon, Ebay, PayPal, and other on line sites. I'll have to change all of them. It's just not worth it to be a BofA customer anymore.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home