Concientia et Sapientia

Knowledge and Wisdom. The foulposts that I aim to hit home runs between.

Monday, July 04, 2005

What the hell is wrong with Bill Bavasi?

Bill Bavasi, in another show of contempt for Mariners fans, has. Boone is the best second basemen the M's have ever had. All-Star, Gold Glover, fan favorite, and shortly to be honored at SafeCo with the release of 'Kaboonie', a childrens book about Bret Boone. If I remember, last year Bavasi fired John Olerud on the day Olerud was honored at the game, or the day before.
There is a place in baseball for a team who finds success by bringing up young talent when they are on a hot streak and sending them back down to AAA or trading them to other teams. The Mariners is not that club. What I thought I loved about the M's, and did before Bavasi took over as GM, was loyalty. There's a place in baseball for a club that remains loyal to the core players. The M's should be that team. It fits the attitude of the Northwest. We're loyal to the players.
It's also hard to be an M's fan because of that loyalty to the players over the club. After the 2001 season, players I loved to watch were packed off to other teams. The M's can bring on someone who I don't like at all, and that player has to win my trust. The big names that came in: Spezio, Beltre, and Sexson, weren't hard to like from the get go. I remember scuttlebutt about Barry Bonds spending his last year or two in an M's uniform as the DH after Edgar retired. I don't think I could like Barry Bonds as a Mariner.
But Bavasi? I think he might have a different philosophy. He might think that no one player should be bigger than the team. Boone wasn't, of course. He's a clubhouse leader and his acts of bold egotism are tinged with self-depreciation. He's a great player. He deserves the kind of Loyalty that Mariner fans generate. Bavasi hasn't earned it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home